3/15/11

Berry Obsessed






































Blueberries, blackberries, you name it (and if it's a berry) I like it! I simply can't go food shopping these days without buying one pack of each.

The last two weekends I woke up craving french toast but alas, had no maple syrup. Considering this excess of berries I found myself with, I decided to try my hand at a simple blueberry syrup.

The results? Delicious! And oh-so-easy...






































Want to try? Here's how:

Ingredients (for 2 servings):
approx. 1/4 cup water
             3/4 cup sugar
             1/2 bag frozen blueberries*
             Fresh raspberries
             4 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
             3 eggs
             Bit of Canola Oil (optional, but it makes the toast a bit crispier)

(*Note: You can easily use fresh blueberries but the frozen bag will last you longer. Also - I like a lot of berries in mine but you can scale down if you want.)

1. In a pan, combine water, sugar, and blueberries, over medium heat.

2. Stir occasionally - over time the mixture should start to thicken. I usually eye-ball it to know when it's done, but it should appear thicker and the berries will have become soft making the sauce turn a darker color. When it doubt just leave it on the flame for a bit longer. (And don't worry - even if it's a little thin, it still tastes yummy. I mean, come on, it's sugar, water, and blueberries.)

3. Prepare french toast using a bit of the canola oil - I'm taking a leap an assuming most people know how to prepare French Toast.

4. Once toast is done scoop blueberry sauce onto toast and garnish with raspberries.

5. Eat, be merry, enjoy the rest of your day :)

and, Voila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...